Monday, July 11, 2011

Marie Claire: The Wisdom of Editors

It's been a few weeks now since the Claire Editor-Intern luncheons began. I was lucky enough to snatch a seat around the lunch table to listen to Katie Connor (Fashion Features Editor), and Suzanne Sykes (Creative Director). Lunch with Katie was excellent - I think maybe it was because she was closer in age to us interns, but she shared with us her story of how she got to where she is now. It was easier to relate to her, given she started out as only an intern at Interview Magazine. She said that afterwards she moved around the industry a bit (however mainly focused on fashion writing) and took all of the opportunities that fell in front of her. She was very down to earth and humble, which really put me to ease when I listened to her tell us about her background.

Katie Connor, Fashion Features Editor

Just last week I went to the luncheon with the Creative Director, Suzanne Sykes. Hands down, a brilliant and intelligent woman. I found out that she actually launched Marie Claire UK, and that it was rather successful overseas. And coincidentally, she received a call from the US offices, (which, at the time, had no clue she was a big player over at the British offices) offering her a position. Suzanne's job as Creative Director includes literally looking over each and every page of the magazine (ads included!) and checking for mistakes and editing every layout. So, the color combinations and word placement on every page of Marie Claire is run through the hands of Suzanne before going into print. Suzanne also introduced us to a new segment of Marie Claire - one which is processed via Tablet. There have been several apps produced for users of the Tablet, including the entire magazine transferred electronically onto the device, as well as a beauty station where you can literally put makeup onto a virtual model. She has told us that the company is expecting to achieve a lot, little by little, in the near future with their expansion into the electronic world.

Suzanne Sykes, Creative Director

I am waiting to have lunch with Joanna Coles in a little over a week, and I am very excited to get the chance to hear about what she has to say about the magazine, general life tips, and of course, about her background!

Also, to add on to what I wrote about in my last post regarding the Marie Claire Front Row Challenge, I officially submitted my application for the contest last Thursday. Now it's up to the judges to decide... I will keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment