Tuesday, August 7, 2012

"A brand for a company is like a reputation for a person. You earn reputation by trying to do hard things well."

They say that all good things come to an end – such an apt description to describe the end to my summer internship. Now that my final presentation’s done and dusted, I’m currently wrapping up my other white paper (yes, overachieving interns work on two projects) and basically tying up loose ends in my final week at Amazon. It’s been an intense two weeks reviewing and revising the white paper that was up for presentation to my VP; I’m sure I’ve got 90% of the content indelibly burnt into my brain now.

Nonetheless, it’s over and now I’ve got a few weeks of downtime to get my belongings shipped back to Ann Arbor and travel back home to catch up with family and friends before semester starts afresh. While I’m looking forward to the rest, it’s a bittersweet moment as everyone heads off in their separate directions at the end of the internship period. I’ve made great friends from different schools and have truly enjoyed being able to discover Amazon and Seattle with such an amazing crew. Even now, plans are afoot to organize a catch-up session down the road in a better place. I hear Miami is really nice in the spring…

You might ask at this point, how have you been spending your last few weeks in Seattle? Well, glad you asked! It’s been a whirlwind of good Seattle food, hiking up Mount Rainier, pigging out on dim sum in Vancouver, gawking at supercars at the local Cars & Coffee gathering, grilling burgers on the rooftop on a balmy summer evening, hunting down the best dessert in Seattle (El Diablo, Tango Restaurant & Lounge), getting strafed by F-18s while working, watching dogs leap 20 feet into a pool and listening to the British rock band The Fixx play during my lunch hour. So yes, it’s been a REALLY boring summer.

Reflecting back on my Amazon experience, I can say that I’ve been very fortunate to be given the opportunity to work with a truly great firm and some amazing colleagues. We’ve all been assigned business-impacting projects with ownership over our work whilst being given lots of support throughout the summer. This truly exemplifies the entrepreneurial and fast-growing nature of the firm and shows how Amazon stands apart from its rivals. It’s been a great learning experience over the past 11 weeks and I have renewed faith in Bezos’ vision in the firm.

Finally, before I bid you all farewell, do check out the Kindle Fire if you’re in the market for a well-priced tablet with an excellent supporting ecosystem of content and apps. It offers more than 18 million movies, TV shows, songs, books, magazines, apps and games, as well as free storage of Amazon digital content in the Amazon Cloud, Whispersync for books and movies, a 14.6 ounce design that's easy to hold with one hand, a vibrant color touch screen, a powerful dual-core processor – all for only $199. To learn more about Kindle Fire, visit www.amazon.com/kindlefire.

Till next time, ciao.

This is what $30 million looks like (250 GTO)

This is what a British rock band looks like (The Fixx)

This is what the best dessert in Seattle looks like (El Diablo)

This is what the Sound of Music looks like (Mt. Rainier hike)

This is what a heart attack looks like (Fried Snickers)

This is what... ah, if you don't get this, then you're just not techie enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment