Sunday, August 5, 2012

Last week, final thoughts


It is a little crazy to think the last week of my internship is upon me. Five days from now I’ll be on the other side of the world exploring the mysteries of China with a group of my fellow MBAs. But before that a lot needs to happen – my final presentation, wrapping up my projects, final lunches and drinks with my team and fellow summer associate, cleaning, packing,… - the to do list seems to go on and on.

The fact my summer is coming to a close means fall and full-time recruiting are right around the corner. So it is reflection time. I used to work and live in New York City before business school – the Greatest City in the World as New Yorkers modestly call it. And I loved it! My goal was to go back there for the summer but it didn’t quite work out. I gave Chicago a try and I have to say that although I wasn’t very enthusiastic at the beginning I’ve been really pleasantly surprised. It is a beautiful city – a greener, cleaner, less packed version of New York. There are tons of great restaurants and a lot of neighborhoods that have a unique character. And there are tons of outdoors events – just this weekend the city is full of visitors from all over the country (and even abroad) who are here for Lollapalooza (or Lola as the locals lovingly call it) – an annual music festival that brings in performers from all over the world. All in all, I have really enjoyed it here.

So I started asking myself – do I really want to go back to New York or should I give Chicago a try full time. I have been thinking about that for the past few weeks, I’ve passed through a couple of stages and the jury is still not out on it. But I think this summer has once again made me realize how important it is to be open to new experiences and try to make the best out of any situation because when you do so previously unimagined possibilities open for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment